October 18, 2010

It's The Most WONDERFUL Time Of The Year...

Some days it's hard to believe I actually get paid to do something I love! I decorate cakes for my day job. Lots of people come into the store and want me to teach them to do what I do. "You make it look so easy!" they say.

Like everything else in life, when you master it, it IS easy! So I decided to start this blog for decorating cupcakes because I have lots of ideas swimming around my head!

This is my premiere series of  "The 13 Monsters of Halloween" featuring my cutest cupcake designs. I"ll try to stick to icing and fondant, but I"ll sneak other things in too. So please enjoy my monsters!

Monster number one is my pumpkin. He can be made scary or cute with a smiley face.



 These are the tips I used: A leaf tip, a #10, #6, #3 and #2.


Cut the end off your icing bag and insert a coupler. For the orange pumpkin part, I just squeezed the icing thru the coupler, no tips. Your first squeeze should include some pressure, and ease up as you get to the bottom of the cupcake.


Do the same thing for rib number 2.


Again, for rib number 3.


And one last time for rib number 4. If your icing gets 'pointy' at the bottom just use the edge of your coupler to adjust it.


Next, use a #3 tip and brown icing to make the stem for your pumpkin.



The leaf tip is up next with green icing. You can place a leaf on each side of the stem if you prefer.


Next is tip #10 and the white icing. Squeeze two rounds for your eyes-make them different sizes for variety. Then squeeze the mouth, straight or smiley.


Back to tip #3 and black icing. Place two lines for the eyebrows, two rounds for the pupils and the mouth can be one straight line, or the stitches - it's your preference!


For some added fun, I used a little red gel for the blood and tip #2 - which is totally optional!


Kids will absolutely love making these also. Be the rock star of your Halloween party and whip some of these up! Come back tomorrow for Monster No. 2.

No comments: