October 29, 2010

Give A Hoot?

Yeah, yeah, I know it's cliche, but I couldn't resist! Turns out I was watching Martha Stewart's Halloween special a week or so back and I saw this owl cupcake flash on the screen for a second, and it caught my eye. I made a mad dash for the remote, and THANK GOD for TIVO! I rewound it and froze it to analyze it, and make it!

How did we ever survive without TIVO and cell phones???

Anyway, enjoy making him. This one also is really easy, I promise!


For this one, you will need a bag of regular, normal pretzels. The round part at the bottom is his beak, and the rest of it is his eyes. Be very careful cutting them, but if they break, they still work. A serrated knife works best to cut with and BE GENTLE!

The tips I used for this cupcake are a No. 3 round and a Leaf Tip.

Whatever shade of brown, gold, green or purple you choose to use for the feathers will have to be put into an icing bag, with coupler, and half with white. You could skip this step, but they don't look as nice as a solid color. Once you get the icing into the bag, just squeeze it out until it flows the color you like, and you're ready to begin!


Put a thin layer of white icing on the cupcake. It doesn't have to be neat and pretty because it's just for the white of his eyes.


Next, goes the pretzel. Yes, I broke mine, but I used it anyway. Feel free to eat the leftovers!


Then with a No. 3 round tip and black icing, pipe the rounds for his eyes.


Next, take your double colored bag with leaf tip and start going around the edges making leaves for the feathers. Make sure you keep the same side up as you go around the face.


Keep going, working your way up to the middle.


This is the final face with all the icing left. Or is it???....


Lastly, put on your missing piece of pretzel, providing someone hasn't snatched it and ate it! And....there you go! One adorable owl! How cute would these be on a table in all different shades of fall colors?



No comments: